Saturday, February 2, 2013

Angantyr - Forvist

Angantyr - Forvist

There has always been something about Angantyr for me. Not that he is one of my favourite black metal bands, I wouldn't even say top 10. But when you hear his stuff, that old school feeling always is present. His works are always enjoyable. I was disappointed with 'Svig' but with 'Forvist', this is exactly what made me such a fan of Angantyr in the first place.

'Forvist' reminds me a lot of 'Haevn'. A big sound, like a thunder storm going along with the battle ships through the seas. This big sound brings back that epic feel that was missing on 'Svig'. 'Svig' was flat. 'Forvist' sounds huge. Dark but carrying great pride and strength the way the riffs gallop and pace along.

I always like how nothing is technical, just good riffs and enough in the passages to keep it interesting considering their length. Just take a song like 'I Forfædres Fodspor' for example the way the walls of distortion gallop along in sync with the tremolos and the drum patterns will just tread along before breaking out into blistering speeds. It is like a sudden gust of cold wind rips through the sea. Even if the conditions are fierce, the troops on their ships are fearless and have great confidence in making it to the shore.

Even with the vocals, Ynleborgaz just has the perfect sound and feel. Cold and harsh and thanks to the big sound, you can really feel the energy, almost barbaric. None of this deep tone stuff you hear from some of todays black metal vocalists which for me removes that cold and harsh atmosphere of the early days.

With a lot of todays black metal bands opting for over the top production and over theatrics. Angantyr produces another album embodying the old spirit and showing how it should be done. Nothing wrong with theatrics, but I will always enjoy this true dark, cold and harsh atmosphere more.

Ikil

No comments:

Post a Comment