Sunday, June 10, 2012

Meshuggah - Koloss

Meshuggah - Koloss

I have always had a 'love/hate' thing with Meshuggah. For me, definitely one of the most interesting and original bands out there and have produced some of my favourite albums of all time. But then they put out a few hits and a few misses. Of course, one of the most influential bands of the last 10 to 15 years. The only problem has been that all but one band, that being Vildhjarta (Swedes too mind you), have failed miserably at truly emulating the Meshuggah sound. Makes the term 'Destroy Erase Improve' seem ironic don't you think?

Even when I saw them live in 2008, I was one of about three people that found their show to be rather bland and quite boring. I think I will put that down more to choice of song rather than performance. So I guess that was really my problem, not theirs. And so for a few years, I really couldn't find any time for them. Quite silly reasons to put a band on the shelf. I mean, should I also stop listening to say... Emperor because they too are yet to have any band even come close to claiming their throne?

Anyhow, the new Meshuggah album 'Koloss' is definitely one I will put along side the likes of 'D.E.I', 'Contradictions Collapse' and 'Chaosphere'. A great variation in technicality, vocals, tempos and styles. One that is dark, twisted and set to take your mind to all kinds of dimensions. This is more like it.

You just picture yourself lying on a metal table surrounded by a few odd scientists. You are hooked up to the heart monitors and the like and they start running their experiment on you. The way 'I Am Colossus' begins with its thick disjointed plod is your pulse running normal and the pace picking up and becoming almost blistering as your pulse is racing, reacting to the injections you have just received.

And then your body begins to shift back and forth in all different directions due to all the mechanical disjointed riffs that are hitting you and feel like an electrical current streaming along, full of energy and intensity. The atmosphere feels like something is burning from the power point all the chords are plugged into. And their is a subtle ring hovering well back behind these disjointed riffs.

After your epileptic fit from the first few songs on the album. Your body settles down in complete darkness and the atmospheric leads pass through your head like straight small beams of white light. Your body only shifts a little more at various moments like the way the drum patterns follow along so tribal like before they twist and move around and build up with the pace of the riffs. And when 'Swarm' begins to scurry around in your head like ants running in all different directions after their hill has been rained on, you've had enough..

'Demiurge' explodes off like a deep siren as you leap up from the table and begin to go insane, ripping off your chords and pulling apart the cables from the power points which causes the lab to catch fire. You catch fire and yell with fury.. revealing the voice of Jens Kidman. His voice once sounded as though he was burning alive in a boiler room.. now it sounds like he is burning alive in an electrical fire. So well suited.

So how fitting when the ambient like ending 'The Last Vigil' represents the burnt down lab. The scientists have escaped, but your body lays lifeless amongst the thick black ash and slowly the vision becomes distant. 'Koloss' is like the enormous beginning with great build, great speed, almost indestructible.. then slowly breaking it down to the point it withers away.

I think back to my above comments. With 'Koloss', it really feels like Meshuggah has truly destroyed and erased that rough patch I felt they had with their last few albums.. because 'Koloss' is one master of an improvement. This will definitely make my end of year list and that says something cause I wasn't going to show any interest in this in the first place.

Ikil

No comments:

Post a Comment