Sunday, May 20, 2012

Azaghal - Nemesis

Azaghal - Nemesis

Azaghal has usually been a bit of a hit and miss for me. Each album has its moments but on a whole, nothing totally gripping. The new album, 'Nemesis' though is a different story and somewhat of a surprise. A very nice surprise and what may be one of the best black metal releases I have heard this year. 

One thing that I really enjoy from a black metal band is a good variation between tremolo picked riffs, catchy filthy rocking riffs and those blistering riffs that feel like they could gallop in time with any gale force wind. The album is filled from start to finish with a good variety of this and, for good measure, even slowing the tempo a bit and becoming more melodic as if the dark clouds sitting above you are starting to strike lightening in time with each note picked in the melody.

If the tremolo riffs are not ripping at your soul, then the fast raw riffs, with the help of the blistering drums, will drag you up into the dark clouds and carry you over a muddy field so bleak and cold and then drop you at great speed and if the thick mud softens the fall, unlucky.. cause the piercing solos will just turn your soul to mince meat. And if that is not enough, the horned beast on the cover of the album will slowly rise up in time with 'Ex Nihilo' and raise what is left of you in sacrifice to demon spirits.

Okay, perhaps a little too descriptive. But anyway, I may be going too far with this, but I am reminded a little bit at times of Mayhem's early stuff. 'Black Legions Of Satan' for instance.. a little 'Deathcrush' like? And even the way some of those riffs tear through, very 'De Mysteriis..' like in the way they can just appear unexpectedly after a slow opening for example. And the way some of those tremolo riffs come off, feels a bit like Dissection except Dissection's riffs were backed by icy cold production. Here, the riffs are backed by darkness with mist and cold winds.

I really like the vocals on 'Nemesis'. So cold and harsh and with much force. They descend from the dark clouds above and echo through these bleak fields. And the odd clean vocal  is added but not over done which is cool. I also like how the synths are subtle. When used, never so evident but being there adds to the dark and cold atmosphere.

One thing an awesome album like this one does for me is it makes me go back to re-discover their previous works. See if I 'missed' anything, so to speak. On the positive, I have. Glad I picked this up because I nearly didn't. Great album!

Ikil












No comments:

Post a Comment